Links categorized by topic.
- Why I don't pat liberal theists on the back
- You can be nice, but don't defend religions! JT Eberhard on why he criticizes backstabbers
- No, people do change their minds!
- Tone trolls
... is still being screwed over badly by Christianity:
- Catholic condom policy perpetuates suffering in Africa
- Bishop publicly lies about condoms - millions suffer
- African Child 'Witches' Withstand Brutal Abuse by Churches
- Americans’ Role Seen in Uganda Anti-Gay Push
- Why Atheists are Angry - Greta Christina
- Why Atheists Care About Religion - from FreeThoughtPedia, with a Sam Harris video
- Atheist/Agnostic Diagram, Venn diagram by see0red; and yet another diagram
- Types of atheists
- Tent-pole post of atheist resources
- Ten most brilliant atheists in history
- Look, we've got girls! (Jen McCreight's list of female atheists)
- A post with lots of atheist resources
- 50 Celebs explain why they don't believe in God
- How I remember how to spell "atheism"
- Jerusalem Bible Project analyses OT fudging
- Infographic: Sliding scale of Extremism and Militancy
- Can't you atheists keep your opinions to yourselves?
- Stalin, Mao, Pol Pot, Hitler
- Skeptics Annotated Bible incl. contradictions
- Bibble Babble
- The Brick Testament
- Archaeology does not support the Bible's claims
- The Impossible Voyage of Noah's Ark
- The Tower of Babel story contradicts linguistic history.
- Jerusalem Bible Project analyses OT fudging
- Bible genealogy
- Exodus as described in the Bible didn't happen
...in Tibet. Not paradise as claimed.
- ...is on the decline, according to this Gallup poll.
- Things they don't tell you about Christianity - lots of dirt, from historic to present.
- Estimates of number of deaths caused by the Papacy
- The Nazareth myth
- Branches of Christianity - by Shepherdless
- Differing views on Christian doctrine, by branch - infographic posted by c_programmer
- Criminal History of Christianity - Wikipedia summary of a 10 volume book
- Corporate org chart for churches
- Church expense breakdown
- Another expense breakdown from a church survey
- A counter to the fake African study ?
- An even better debunking of the African study
- Concordance's video on circumcision and a follow-up with source reference links.
- circinfo.org - an Australian circumcision information site.
- Index to Creationist Claims and their rebuttals - by TalkOrigins
- IRBMe's refutation of the "intelligent watchmaker" argument
- "Baraminology is considered a brutally intellectually dishonest pseudoscience by the scientific community"
- Answers to Creationist Questions (PDF, small book)
- NukeThePope on death... and some more on death
- Strong Religious Faith Associated With Aggressive End-of-Life Care
- A "fresh" atheist deals with death
- Atheists least fearful of death
- Near Death Experiences a pile of woo (PZ Myers, paraphrased)
- Do we concede too easily on the topic of death? (Greta Christina rant)
- Infographic: Causes of death in the 20th century
- Daniel Everett, missionary-turned-atheist among the Pirahãs
- Christian pastor turned atheist gives his top 10 reasons
We're frequently bothered by re-re-reposts of "a discussion between a student and a professor," a rather brain-dead discussion about science vs. God, belief, etc. It's annoying enough and frequent enough that I like to keep this handy:
In discussion, "evolution" often stands for both the fact that species evolve and the Theory of Evolution, which proposes the mechanisms of evolution: Natural selection, mutation and genetic drift as well as the idea of common ancestry. More in Wikipedia.
- The (US) National Academy of Sciences says evolution is a fact. See also: Wikipedia.
- In a study of about 33 countries, the US ranks lowest in acceptance of the Theory of Evolution, behind Turkey. More on "level of support for evolution" in Wikipedia.
- The Histomap of Evolution and another Tree of Life
- Saying that humans evolved from modern apes is like saying that you evolved from your brother.
- How to Date a Fossil
- Is evolution a conspiracy? (post by NukeThePope)
- Defender's Guide to Science and Creationism
- Pictorial of the evidence for and against evolution
- Evolution explained in a comic
- Female scientists explain evolution and why it needs to be taught
- Understanding Evolution - all about, by Berkeley U
- Inorganic 'cells' - a step forward in abiogenesis
- Evolution for dummies - graphic: tree, not ladder
- Evolution Gems - 15 sourced case studies demonstrating things we've learned about evolution
- Evolution proved beyond reasonable doubt (video by DonExodus)
- National Geographic article: Was Darwin Wrong? (spoiler: no.)
- How a Creationist lost his faith
- Observed evolutionary events - a useful list of examples (link by dumnezero)
LessWrong - a philosophical explanation of why we do have free will.
- Funny clips (& other stuff) about religion
- He'll Fuck You up - funny song
- NukeThePope's Virtual Love Life
- The Truth about Jonah's whale story
- Every time you masturbate...
- Kissing Hank's Ass (video) ... and as text
- If you're religious, you're stupid - comic
- The Priest Song - Stephen Lynch
- History of Yahweh in comic form
- Comics about religion
- Science vs. Creationism (comic) - start with conclusion, find facts to support it.
- The Pope, wearing the Emperor's new clothes (drawing, slightly NSFW)
- Eric Hoffer on fundamentalism
- The American Taliban in Their Own Words - Dan Barker's collection of excerpts of Fundamentalist speeches
- 36 Arguments for the Existence of God (PDF) - and rebuttals.
- Why I wouldn't worship God - classic rant by Tim Maroney, 1983
- If it bleeds, we can kill it - by metnavman
- People killed by Christian medicine
- People killed by refusing medical treatment
- People killed by cults
- ...of Christianity: Including reasons for witch hunting and the fanatic persecution of contraception and abortion
Hitler ( Nazism )
...was most likely not an atheist. If he was, he hid it very well.
- Big list of Hitler quotes from PZ Myers
- Hitler's Catholicism
- how christianity was largely responsible for the holocaust
- Hitler's Table Talk and other extraneous sources
- Nazism vs. Darwinism - a detailed examination.
- Kinship Between National Socialism & Roman Catholicism (from atheism.about.com)
The world view of many /r/atheism subscribers is very compatible with secular humanism (Wikipedia link). In situations where an atheist would like to sidestep some of the controversy and friction with which the widely hated term "atheism" is often met, I recommend that they instead identify as secular humanists, provided that agrees with them. For a short manifesto of what (secular) humanism stands for, read The Amsterdam Declaration.
- Ignorance and Hostility Toward Humanist Chaplains in the military with some interesting insights and a cool Neil deGrasse Tyson video.
- ...has been at an intellectual standstill since 1058. Neil deGrasse Tyson explains why.
- An Atheist Guide to Mohammedanism
- Why I'm working on Christianity first
- List of Islam-motivated terror attacks
- Did Mohammed exist? A review of a critical book.
- Scientific Errors in the Quran
- Summary of Muslim opinions on violence and terrorism (thanks, dschiff)
- Why the Arabic World Turned Away From Science (thanks, zna)
- The Unofficial Ibn Warraq site with lotsa stuff from the "best" critic of Islam.
- Wazzym's FAQ debunking Islam
- Deconstructing the Myth of the Islamic Golden Age
- was deeply researched by former Christian Bart Ehrman. See his books.
- didn't exist at all, according to David Fitzgerald's book Nailed. To get a taste of his arguments, see his video from Skepticon III.
- Earl Doherty on the Jesus Myth
- Earlier sources of Jesus' profound sayings
- A dissection of Jesus' morality
- IronChariots' disassembly of The Sermon On The Mount
- Robert Ingersoll ripping on Jesus
- Atheist moderates, out of a misunderstood sense of fairness, end up backstabbing the atheist cause a lot. They want to be friends with Christian moderates.
- Christian moderates contribute more to the problem with religion than many are aware. Sam Harris' video explains how they lend respectability to the crazies in their ranks.
- A rare example of a responsible Christian moderate is Frank Schaeffer. He's doing what we want responsible moderate Christians to do.
- The responsibility of moderates for extremism
- More discussion of moderate theists' role in fostering extremism on about.com
- The problem with religious moderates (from BeliefNet)
- Sam Harris' ideas as set forth in The Moral Landscape.
- Craig James:
- Toddlers of 8 months show moral behavior
- Kohlberg's stages of moral development
...is for the birds. NukeThePope spits on "ancient wisdom."
Noah and the Flood
The value of prayer (checklist graphic)
- ...is probably a by-product, not evolved (says PZ Myers)
- How religion can give authority to tyranny - by Cituke
- The difference between religion and other -isms - by NukeThePope
- Religion and Insecurity - Mano Singham on why religion is so big in America
- Philosophy of Religion - monster collection of essays
- Evolution of Religion - a huge collection of articles
- Religious people aren't happier, they just actively make atheists unhappy.
- Religious Trauma Syndrome
- Science and Medieval Christianity - by Richard Carrier. Followed a lengthy discussion with a couple of apologists and others. Noteworthy on its own: Flynn's Pile of Boners.
- The Tragedy of Theology - Andrew Bernstein's rebuttal to Rodney Stark's The Victory of Reason (a bit over the top, alas)
- Science vs. Theology in Christendom - huge scholarly work by A.D. White, 1898
- Did Christians Destroy Classical Culture and Create the Dark Ages?
Shroud of Turin
...doesn't exist. For good reasons why, read Ebon Musings: A Ghost in the Machine
Statistics / Sociology
- /r/atheism poll results
- Pew Forum stats on age distribution by religion
- poll at WhyWontGodHealAmputees
- Study: Religious people are happier because of social bonding rather than spiritual engagement.
- Gregory Paul's studies on religion vs. societal health:
- Religion vs. Society: a distillation of a paper by Phil Zuckermann (with link to this paper)
- Atheists score highest on writing proficiency at OKCupid.
- Religion vs. poverty, murder and other stats in the USA (But beware: People get angry about the implied causation.)
- Faith in Flux: Religion switching in the USA (Pew study)
- Religious Cosmologies and Homicide Rates among Nations
- If humans are hard-wired to be moral, what is the point of religion?
- Another American infographic. Note: The IQ table is hotly contested.
- Income vs. church attendance in the US
- People believe in God when their government is failing them.
- Why Atheism Replaces Religion In Developed Countries
- The Great Reddit Survey
- Atheists better at online dating
- Evangelicals most approve of torture
- Chart of religiosity vs. prosperity by country
- More evidence that better living decimates religiosity
- Summary of findings of science on religion in 2011
- 10 Signs The US is Becoming a Third World Country
- Religion does not reduce crime
- Atheism on the Rise - The Thinking Atheists, November 2011
- Income inequality vs. religion chart - thanks to gweilotinlok.
- Belief in God in decline
worldwidein a few countries (UPI, 04/2012)
- Atheism is on the rise G. Paul presenting latest stats from the ISSP
- Atheism, secularity and well-being by Phil Zuckerman
- Life is tougher in the United States (post by MJMCP linking to an article by Anthony Gottlieb)
- Faith after an Earthquake: Study shows that faith does not help much in dealing with disaster.
- Religious States Have Highest Rates of Anti-Depressant Use
- New Study Raises Questions About Religion as Deterrent Against Criminal Behavior
- Moral judgments regarding consequences - posted by KanadainKanada
- Children raised secular turn out OK - by Phil Zuckerman
- The Terrifying Christian Right
- A series of videos about Dominionism - collected by physalis17
- Chris Hedges on the Rise of the Christian Right
- The Religious Right's Plot To Take Control Of Our Public Schools
- Dominionism, Reconstructionism, etc. explained by scholars
- The Ethics of Belief by William Clifford; on our moral obligation to believe only what's true.
(from this site) ...makes a bunch of interesting claims about Christianity and introduces some conspiracy theories. It's a lousy atheist resource because it's horribly inaccurate. Here's a Web site debunking Zeitgeist.
But we don't need Zeitgeist to fudge up a correlation between the Jesus story and earlier myths: An early Church Father does it for us!